Friday, October 14, 2016

Friday Inspiration - Nature


If you've read this blog for very long, you already know that I get inspiration for my work from nature!  I'm fortunate to live surrounded by forests and forest creatures and love to spend time photographing them.








And when I look to other fiber artists for inspiration, I'm drawn to those who are also influenced by the natural world around them.



I recently discovered Scharine Kirchoff's eco-dyed work and have fallen in love with it!  The patterns and textures she is able to get are amazing.  She talks some about her process here.


Finding Lotta Helleberg's cyanotype print leaf quiltings reminded me that cyanotype is a printing technique I have always meant to experiment with more.  The different shades of blue have an indigo quality to them.  She also works with eco-dying - see more of her work here.


Every once in awhile, I discover an artist using a technique or medium that I had never thought of.  Jenine Shereos' leaf skeletons from woven from human hair definitely fall into that category!  I've read about her process and am still amazed that it would be possible.  Those knots are so, so tiny!  If you'd like to learn more, there's a good interview with her on the World of Threads Festival website.


Ann Woods sews all sorts of fabric creatures - vegetables, dolls, cats, and, my favorite, birds!  I love her songbirds with their bits of different fabrics and tiny stitches.  She does offer patterns for many of her creations, but unfortunately not those.  Check out her website to see more.


And now I'm off to batten down the hatches before the remnants of Typhoon Songda hit my little corner of the Pacific Northwest tomorrow!

Happy Creating!  Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment