Monday, September 30, 2013

Autumn Leaf Quilt Block


I've been mulling over making an autumn leaf themed quilt - just not sure if I want to jump into something big right now, though!  So as a compromise, I worked on a quilt block this weekend.  I love quilt blocks - sort of like the granny squares of the sewing world!  One can work on them as you have time and eventually you have enough to put the quilt together with.  This one uses scraps of fabric for the leaves and embroidery to give it a bit more texture and interest.

I used a clear blue for the background - I just love how bright autumn leaves look against blue skies!  I think I must have taken a bajillion photos of that!

Materials:
*scraps of autumn leaf colored print fabric
*background fabric - a 12x12 inch piece for each block
*Steam-a-Seam II Lite
*embroidery floss and needle

1.  Print out the leaf pattern from my past Leaf Art Coasters blog post.  Cut out and fold in half down the middle.


2.  Place on a blank piece of paper and trace, adding 1/4 inch in the middle for a seam and making the stem a bit fatter.



3.  Put two fabrics wrong sides together, pin pattern on the top, and cut out.



4.  Pin right sides of the leaf together and sew in a 1/4 inch seam.


5.  Press seam open and iron front smooth.



6.  Peel the backing off one side of Steam-a-Seam II and press the leaf to the adhesive.


7.  Set a piece of plain paper over the leaf and turn over.



8.  Cut out.


9.  Peel the other backing off and iron onto the front of a 12 x 12 inch piece of background fabric.


10.  Using 6 strands of embroidery floss, sew around the outside edges in a blanket stitch.  Use embroidery stitches to highlight different parts of the prints, varying between using 6 and 3 strands.


Now we'll see how long it takes me to get enough blocks for a quilt!

Happy Creating!  Deborah

1 comment:

  1. You have inspired me to (from your headboard) to make some leaf coasters for my Ladies' Day @ church. Looks like you've got another great project going. I enJOY all the work you do with the leaves.

    ReplyDelete