Monday, September 13, 2010

Monday Project - Layered Felt Autumn Bookmarks


I have a bad habit of turning down the page corners of books I'm reading to mark where I stop.  I DO have bookmarks, but like half my socks, they seem to travel to another dimension, appearing only occasionally in this one.  That doesn't usually bother me - until I start reading books someone lends me.  When I'm reading a book borrowed from a friend who uses bookmarks, a turned down page stands out horribly!

Since I have a few loaned books I'm about to start reading, I decided to spend a little time making layered felt bookmarks.  The morning air here is beginning to remind me of fall (I know - 68 degrees doesn't remind anyone of fall except those of us who live in Phoenix), so I came up with two fall and two Halloween designs.

Material List:
*felt
*embroidery thread
*felt or tacky glue
*1/8 inch grossgrain ribbon
*hole punch
*patterns (download)

If this is your first time making a layered felt project, first read this past blog.

Fall Leaves and Pumpkin Patch Bookmarks

For each bookmark, cut two 2" by 6" rectangles of felt.  Punch a hole in the top of one rectangle using a paper hole punch.  Line the top piece up with the back one and punch a hole in the back rectangle.  If you have a super hole punch, you'll be able to punch both pieces of felt at once.




Cut out leaves or pumpkins/leaves from patterns.  These have quite a few pieces - I find it easier to embroider them when they are tacked onto the top rectangle with a dab of felt or tacky glue.  If you use too much, it'll be hard to push the needle through - a little dab'll do ya!


Attach each piece to the top rectangle using two strands of embroidery thread and a blanket stitch.  Add details to the pumpkins using an outline stitch.  Add details to the leaves using an outline stitch and add the "wind" using a running stitch.

Attach ribbon through hole by folding in half, making a loop, inserting the loop through the punched hole from front to back, bringing loose ends of ribbon through the loop, and pulling tight.


Attach front to back using four strands of thread and a blanket stitch.  When you get to the ribbon, secure it with one stitch through the front loop piece.


No - it's not your imagination!  I decided an orange ribbon looked better than a white one.


Skeleton Bookmark

Glue pieces (pattern here) onto a piece of black felt, arranging the bones into desired skeleton position.  You'll need to freehand cut eyes, nose, and a mouth.  Attach with 2 strands of embroidery thread using a blanket stitch.  Cut out around skeleton.


Cut out a matching piece of felt by pinning the first piece to the second piece and cutting along the lines of the first piece.  Attach the two pieces together with 4 strands of embroidery thread using a blanket stitch.  I used DMC's Pearlescent Effects E5200 to give it a bit of bling.  This thread can be hard to work with!  It's easier for me if I cut two long strands and put them through the eye of the needle separately (running the thread through bees' wax can help).  I then match up the bottom of the strands and tie a knot at the bottom, giving me 4 strands.



Bat Bookmark

Cut two bat pieces, two smaller wing pieces, and one each of face and stomach from pattern.  Attach with dabs of glue and then 2 strands of embroidery thread using a blanket stitch.  Add details to the wings using an outline stitch.  Add mouth and fangs with short stitches and eyes using french knots.

Attach front to back with 4 strands of embroidery thread and a blanket stitch.


Happy Creating!  Deborah

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great project! I'm doing a Halloween felt night with my craft group next month and this is a lovely option for the folks.

    ReplyDelete